Whether we are creating or acquiring a brand, we put it through our five step “Brand Creation Process”. This process overlays neatly with the operational blueprint that our brands and/or companies must follow during the company creation phase. By following both the operational blueprint and our brand creation process, we can create companies with maximum efficiency. To us, efficiency is measured in both time and money. And the more efficiently a brand is brought to market, the higher the potential returns for investors and stakeholders.
We are adamant about following the below steps. While you may find short-term time savings in skipping this process, you will endure long-term regret.
Goal: Create a high-quality defensible product or service for our consumer which makes their lives better.
· Identify overlooked opportunities for our consumer.
· Conduct research to determine whether an opportunity for brand creation exists.
· Move into R&D with appropriate internal or external experts.
· Align on product or service design and on key competitive advantages, features, and benefits.
Goal: Define and articulate the core brand narrative or value proposition based on how the brand will serve its ultimate consumer.
· Identify who we are and how customers will find us (create a brand vision, mission, tagline, about us, etc.)
· Define the customer and understand the competitors.
· Align on content needs and develop corporate messaging, including detailed features and benefits (for sales materials, website, and social use).
· Define brand look and feel, voice and copy, photography and/or video to appropriately communicate the brand’s function and purpose.
Goal: Visually craft the brand story and brand experience by communicating the selling proposition through messaging, imagery, video, and iconography
· Confirm appropriate marketing channels (website, social, retail, etc.) and create visual assets for each channel.
· Create iconography to communicate company or product features & benefits.
· Execute vision for photography and/or videography asset creation.
· Develop a brand book which communicates the brand identity through logos, icons, color scheme, typeface, photo/video principles, etc.
Goal: Design and create all customer-facing brand assets, including website and social assets
· Establish all third-party plug-ins and apps that are needed for the brand and connect to the assets.
· Establish customer retention tools, such as email sequences, and assist the brand in creating these.
· Test and tweak assets based on customer results for optimal design – offer, buy flow, financing options, layout, etc.
· Utilize A-B testing
Goal: Acquire customers at the most effective cost utilizing a variety of strategies and channels
· Evaluate where potential customers are buying and make sure you are available where they want to buy.
· This could be direct to consumer (DTC), selling to retailers, creating a unique retail experience, or another method of delivery. Every product will have a different strategy but can utilize a similar blueprint per tactic.
· Create an acquisition strategy and implementation timeline. Let each tactic have a chance to prove success or failure and then move to the next.